Current:Home > MyChainkeen|Many eligible North Carolina school voucher applicants won’t get awards -Trailblazer Capital Learning
Chainkeen|Many eligible North Carolina school voucher applicants won’t get awards
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 02:50:56
RALEIGH,Chainkeen N.C. (AP) — A massive spike in applications to North Carolina’s school voucher program means most higher-income families won’t receive financial help for the coming year even though the General Assembly did away with income caps on the program. There simply isn’t enough money to accommodate a six-fold increase to 72,000 new applicants this year, all seeking subsidies to send their children to private K-12 schools through the Opportunity Scholarship program, according to reporting by the The News & Observer of Raleigh and WRAL-TV.
Lawmakers in 2023 also opened first-time grants to current private school students.
State law requires the program to first offer scholarships to existing voucher holders. More than 32,500 students received them this year. Next come the lowest-income applicants -- for example, a family of four that makes a maximum $57,720. Families earning up to twice that amount are prioritized in the next group.
The authority said it awarded new vouchers for the maximum amount of $7,468 per child to over 13,500 applicants from the lowest-income tier, according to the media reports. Applicants must decide by April 19 whether to accept the award.
Based on the numbers so far, only some applicants in the next tier will receive scholarships, the authority said. Those applicants are eligible for $6,722 per child. How many will get an award depends on how many applicants from the lowest income bracket accept their offers.
There is no money available for higher income groups — like families of four making over $115,440 annually — the authority said.
Lawmakers provided $293.5 million for the program for the 2024-25 school year, The News & Observer reported. The current state budget envisions transferring more public money to scholarship funds over the next decade, reaching over $500 million annually by fall 2031.
It’s still possible for the General Assembly to increase next year’s voucher funding to assist more students. The budget-adjustment session begins April 24.
Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper, a longtime critic of the scholarships, has called for a moratorium on expanding the program until he says public schools are fully funded. Republicans hold narrow veto-proof majorities in the House and Senate.
veryGood! (647)
Related
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Penn State's James Franklin shows us who he is vs. Ohio State, and it's the same sad story
- Mississippi man dies after a dump truck releases asphalt onto him
- Ethan Slater Says Ariana Grande Is “Amazing” for This Specific Reason
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Southern Taurid meteor shower hits peak activity this week: When and where to watch
- Cardinals rushing attack shines as Marvin Harrison Jr continues to grow into No. 1 WR
- Chris Martin Falls Through Trap Door Onstage During Australia Concert
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Taylor Swift plays goodbye mashups during last US Eras Tour concert
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Musk PAC tells Philadelphia judge the $1 million sweepstakes winners are not chosen by chance
- Opinion: Harris' 'SNL' appearance likely violated FCC rules. There's nothing funny about it.
- Is fluoride in drinking water safe? What to know after RFK Jr.'s claims
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Family pleaded to have assault rifle seized before deadly school shooting. Officers had few options
- Sean Diddy Combs' Kids Share Phone Call With Him on Birthday
- US agency ends investigation into Ford engine failures after recall and warranty extension
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Vikings vs. Colts highlights: Sam Darnold throws 3 TDs in Sunday Night Football win
NYC trio charged with hate crimes linked to pro-Palestinian vandalism of museum officials’ homes
Raiders fire offensive coordinator Luke Getsy, two more coaches after 2-7 start
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Kendall Jenner Shares Glimpse at Birthday Celebration With Witches Don't Age Cake
Pottery Barn 1-Day Sale: Snag $1.99 Wine Glasses, $7.99 Towels, $2.99 Ornaments, and More Deals
Jason Kelce apologizes for cellphone incident at Ohio State-Penn State before Bucs-Chiefs game